Tuesday 7 July 2015

Colony 87 Lord Greiss

You may be aware that I recently ran a Kickstarter for a small range of sci-fi civilian figures called Colony 87.

I always meant to paint up a set of figures as the Kickstarter was running, but time and events conspired against me, and I didn't manage to paint a set up before the Kickstarter ended. As a treat to myself for finishing all the terrain for the BOYL game, I decided to paint up Lord Greiss from the range. Whiskey Priest over at the The Leadpile had already painted up a gin-soaked version in green and pink. I decided my version was going to be perhaps an older, more severe planetary Governor. Here's the results:




Michael Anderson's sculpt is a real joy to paint - the details are easy to ready and crisply sculpted. I had great fun with Lord Greiss' face too, trying to give the impression of 5 o'clock shadow. You may not have seen the rear of the figure either - my favourite element from this angle is the shaved lower section at the back of his head. Now that is one weird hairstyle!


Lord Greiss examines a new consignment of luxuries with his Chief Storesman.



If the colour scheme looks familiar, then it's because I painted up Lord Greiss to sit alongside Anamuria (Citadel Romana from the 1980s Doctor Who range) and Eduardo (Citadel Confrontation Elite Gang Leader). I think the three figures work pretty nicely alongside each other.

2015 Colony 87 flanked by 1980s Citadel.



9 comments:

  1. Great colours. Looking forward to getting mine, although I confess they'll probably join the lead pile for a while before they see paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really intrigued to see what colours folks use...there's a lot of scope to really vary the look...perhaps even some freehand on the cloak?

      Delete
  2. Excellent, I think as a stand alone he already looks good and elegant with that white rim on the blue suit but having the gril next to him really gives him another dimension. from the first model I painted I know the sculpting quality is here and now I cannot wait to put my brushes on it ! (just need to move hous in the meantime)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JB. I just knew as soon as I had the figure in hand he was destined to go along with the girl and her team. I've got another dozen figures I want to paint in the same theme too!

      House moves can wait - painting is more important ;)

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous work, seriously. Also looking forward to getting mine, the minis of the set look really splendid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! Yours should be arriving any day now :)

      Delete
  4. He looks great! Most bureaucratic indeed :)

    Could I bother you for the tip on how you gave him the 5 o'clock shadow please?

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 5 o'clock shadow is very simple - I just painted and highlighted the face as normal, then gave the chin, lower cheeks and philtrum (I had to look the name up!) a wash with a very watered down mix of GW asurmen blue and badab black washes, making sure not to go over the lips.

      Delete
  5. Brilliant! Looking forward to getting mine ;)

    Warburton

    ReplyDelete